Just like there are many plays that make up a winning strategy, there are many food items that stock a community food pantry. A great way to know exactly what is needed is to call your local community organization and ask them what they need most. Then, shop away and give generously! If you donate items off our kitchen shelves, remember to check expiration dates. Expired food is so… deflating. And that’s not regulation.
Here’s a sample list of items commonly needed by food pantries and shelves:
- Canned soups, especially high in protein (beef stew, etc)
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Canned meat such as tuna fish
- Rice and other grains
- Apple sauce
- Peanut butter
- Baking mixes
- Prepared, shelf stable dishes/ pastas
- Tomato sauce, paste, crushed/diced tomatoes
- Canned or dried beans
- Shelf stable milk
You can also give money directly to an organization that gives out food– just let us know the total you give between now and the end of the Super Bowl as part of the tally!